Democracy Summer is an innovative internship program that exposes young leaders to new ideas and political movements, teaching them how to organize people around a shared vision for a better democracy in our state. The program also equips young people with lifelong skills that they can use to work for positive social change in their communities.
Democracy Summer is ideal for students interested in a career in public service, politics, a non-profit field, or community-based work. All rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in NC community colleges, colleges, and universities are eligible to apply. Because student organizers are responsible for covering their own housing, most participants apply to work in cities were they have family or other living arrangements available. The ideal applicant will have:
- A passion for social and economic justice
- An ability to communicate with diverse groups of people
- An interest in and general understanding of politics
- Strong public speaking skills
- An ability to work independently and as part of a team